How To Prepare For Your Parents Coming To Visit
Posted on July 14, 2015
Your parents are coming to visit, and it’s time to prepare
your home so that they are comfortable and safe. From checking on their health
to activities to do as a family, here’s how to make their visit go smoothly.
How do I keep my parents comfortable and safe?
Before your parents arrive, you should prepare your home.
Make your parents more comfortable by making your home safer for them.
- Clean your house and removing hazards. That
includes anything that can be tripped over or slipped on, including pet bowls,
electrical cords, and rugs.
- Arrange the furniture so walkways are clear.
- Move items your parents might need so that they
are within easy reach. This includes items their favorite cereal and extra
- Place non-slip strips on steps, in the bathroom,
and in the bathtub.
- Make sure home is well lit. Add a lamp within
easy reach of their bed so they don’t have to navigate in the dark.
Your aging parents have different needs than they used to.
Pay attention and make sure they have everything they need.
- Ask about their diets and provide the food they
- Ask if they would like any specific meals.
- Have their favorite snacks and beverages in the
- Make sure they bring enough medication with them
if they need it.
- Clean! Mom will notice that spot you missed.
Are my parents doing okay?
During this visit is a good time to check on your parents’
well-being. Talk with them about their health, and be observant. Has your Dad
lost a lot of weight? Is Mom experiencing memory loss? If they drove to you,
were they able to do so safety?
You aging parents may not be willing to tell you that
something is wrong. They may not even realize they need help. Gently bring up your concerns. Encourage them
to take regular medical checkups and to ask their doctor about any changes.
What should we do while they’re here?
Don’t just sit around! Plan some activities for the whole
- Take some scenic walks and show your parents what
makes where you live special.
- Take them sightseeing to your favorite local
- Break out the board games and have some fun.
- Take them out to a movie. Or have a movie night
in, complete with candy and popcorn.
- Watch some home videos and reminisce about when
you were growing up.
- Eat out at your favorite restaurants and bars.
- Take them wine tasting at a local winery.
- Plan a beach day if you live by the coast.
- Take them to a sports game or a concert.
- Plan a picnic or barbeque with everyone’s
You love your folks, but you know you don’t have the same
interests as Mom and Dad. Just remember:
your parents are coming to see YOU. They
want to spend some quality time with you and learn about your life.
When planning out the entertainment for their visit,
remember to schedule in some downtime. They won’t want to be on the go all day.
Make some time to relax and catch up on what’s been going on in your lives.
Show them you care
While your parents are visiting it is a good time to bring
up the idea of a medical
alert system. They can go home protected
and give the whole family peace of mind.
With a medical alert system you parents can push a button
and get help immediately in any situation. At Alert1
we stay on the phone until help arrives so they never feel alone. Whether your
parents want protection at home or on the
go, a medical alert system will allow them to age in place like they
If your parents are opposed to this idea, gently tell them
that you are worried about their safety and it doesn’t hurt to take extra
precautions. They may think that they don’t need an alert system and they
don’t, until they fall. Tell them the facts: no one can tell when an accident
will occur. You want peace of mind not only for them, but yourself as well.
Have fun with them!
Show your parents a great time. They came to spend some
quality time with you and now it’s time to make the most of it. Make sure they
are healthy, happy and have everything they need while visiting you.
Send your parents home safe with a medical alert system. It
will give the whole family the peace of mind about their safety and allow your
parents to continue to live independently. Your parents watched out for you
while growing up, now it’s time you do the same as they age.
You may enjoy these similar articles: